Summer Academy 2019: Motivational Interviewing for School Counselors presented by Dr. Reagan North
- Thursday, August 1st, 2019
- 9:00AM-4:00PM (check in begins at 8:30AM)
- Quest Conference Center (8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus, OH 43240)
- $60 for OSCA Members / $120 for Non-Members
- Registration closes July 31st
- Registration can be paid online or via check/cash by mail or on-site. Purchase orders will NOT be accepted. Attendees are expected to pay in advance or on the day of the event.
- Lunch will be on your own (there are many fast-food and fast casual restaurants within minutes of the venue).
- Click here for listing of nearby hotels (several are within walking distance of the venue.)
Session and Speaker Information
Psychology Today defines motivational interviewing as " a counseling method that helps people resolve ambivalent feelings and insecurities to find the internal motivation they need to change their behavior. It is a practical, empathetic, and short-term process that takes into consideration how difficult it is to make life changes." Motivational interviewing is a structured technique that has become more and more popular within the school setting as a means of motivating students to develop positive academic and personal behaviors that align with their values and goals.
Summer Academy offers its attendees a 6-hour, comprehensive training that will introduce you to the theory and application of motivational interviewing in your own work with your students.
Our presenter, Dr. Reagan North, is a school counselor at Kamiak High School in Mukilteo, WA as well as an adjunct instructor at Seattle Pacific University. He has written a book entitled Motivational Interviewing for School Counselors (available on Amazon) and has presented on the subject at the ASCA annual conference, multiple state-wide school counselor conferences, and at various universities and school districts around the country. His goal is to train as many school counselors as possible in the use of Motivational Interviewing.